Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Recipe of the Week: Zesty Crab Cakes

Last night I made some delicious crab cakes from a recipe I found in Martha Stewart Living. Say what you will about that woman, she knows how to cook her @ss off!

Ingredients:
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
2 tablespoons unsalted better, melted and cooled
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons sour cream (I used light sour cream)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus wedges for serving (I used bottled lemon juice)
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (reduce this if you don't like your food spicy)
1/2 tsp coarse salt
1 lb lump crabmeat, picked over (I used a blend of lump and claw meat, we're in a recession!)
3 hot picked peppers, such as Peppadew, coarsely chopped (I don't know what a Peppadew is so I used habeneros)
3/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Instructions:
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of cornmeal. Whisk next 8 ingredients in a large bowl. Gently mix in crab, peppers and breadcrumbs.
2. For each crab cake, shape 1/3 cup crab mixture into a patty; place on prepared sheet. Sprinkle with remaining cornmeal. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 15 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook crab cakes in batches, 4 to 5 minutes per side. (It turned out to make 8 crab cakes for me)

Tamara's Tips:
- If you aren't used to very spicy food, you may want to choose a milder pepper.
- I served this with boiled potatoes and coleslaw which made for a delicious meal.


Final Verdict: 9 - I will definitely make this again! It was simple and delicious. I would like to try it with only using lump crab meat but I will have to wait for it to go on sale or for a special occasion because that stuff is over twice the cost of the mixed crab meat.

No comments: