Thursday, August 21, 2008

I'm Really Going To Need These Runs

Monday our department moved into our new "open space environment". What this really means is that they have moved us out of our nice, big offices and into a big room with a bunch of desks in it. I'm starting to feel like I work for a call center seeing people walking around with headsets on. Note: I probably should check my company's policy on blogging in order to avoid getting fired for anything I might say on here. Oh well.....Now I really tried to be optimistic about the situation (I'm not on the "Boost Team" for nothing) but I have decided that I REALLY don't like this new workspace. Pro: My seat is up against the window so I don't have anyone beside me and people can't walk behind my desk. Con: everything else you can imagine. I don't like people looking at me, unless I'm at the club and they are looking at me because of how HOT I look. But at work, I don't like people looking at me. I feel like I'm being watched ALL DAY LONG and I think it is starting to stress me out! Not to mention I can't do any "personal" things at my desk, I either have to suffer or get up and go somewhere private. That gets old!

All that is to say: I'm SO glad I'm doing this marathon and that I have a group to train with. Today was a fairly short run (4 miles) but we were supposed to run at a pretty good pace, which we did - under 10/min mile. Amy was beating herself up the entire run but I know how it feels when you feel like you aren't having a good run so I will give her a pass, even though she was doing just fine and I don't know why she was beating herself up! She kept telling me that I could leave her......I'm not leaving! This is my first marathon, my goal is to finish not beat some set time. I like running with a great running buddy because it makes my day better and relieves stress. The physical part of the running plus the mental part of having someone enjoyable to run with is what makes running so wonderful. Depending on how this "open space" develops, I may need to start running everyday......

2 comments:

Paul said...

I'm right there with you in open space and hating it also! I have found one place that I can kind of hide although I am sure it won't take people long to figure it out and I will be fighting for my spot. My workouts have picked up somewhat since the move also...gotta have some way to relieve the stress.

runrgrl2007 said...

OK with a post that nice about me, I guess I will learn to shut up and just run. No matter how bad my lungs are burning! So enough of the pity party and back to being ME! Oh and on the open space thing, if they are looking at it, it is because they want to be like you. They are jealous of you! So just laugh at them......