Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Not Enough Time??

I often hear people say that they don't have enough time to cook dinner, let alone a healthy dinner. How long does it take to go through the drive thru at McDonald's? Let's assume it takes 10 minutes (depending on how many other people are in the drive thru and if fries need to be dropped). This is pretty quick and I can definitely understand the appeal of running by a fast food resturant. It is quick and there is no mess to clean up afterwards. Or is there? The mess you have to clean up is the mess you are leaving your health in. Of course, eating fast food once in a while is not going to kill you (unless you are unlucky enough to get one of those ecoli burgers). But if you make eating fast food a habit then you are endangering your health. Not to mention the health of your children by giving then less than nutritious food and teaching them poor eating habits.

Okay *stepping down off of my soapbox*. That was just a introduction to the point of this post. There IS time to make a quick and healthy meal. Tonight we had pan-fried steak, corn and salad for dinner. This meal took all of 10 minutes active time. I marinaded the steak in balamic vinegarette, red pepper flakes, seasoning salt, and herb seasoning. I let it marinade at room temp for about 30 minutes. I then pan-fried the steak in a non-stick pan with a little bit of olive oil on high. I cooked it for 3 minutes on one side and 2 minutes on the other side. This resulted in a medium to medium-rare steak. I popped one of the Bird's Eye Steam Fresh bags of corn into the microwave for 5 minutes and then opened up a bag of salad. So there you go! A delicious, moderately health meal (the beef was pretty lean but I understand it IS less healthy then some other types of meat) that took less than 10 minutes of active time on my part. Now there IS some cleaning up to do but I will leave that particular chore to The Husband, LOL. I mean dang, I can't be expected to cook AND clean!

On a slightly sidenote: I realized halfway through this post that I wrote a similar post back in September. Ah well...at least you know how I feel about it.

No comments: