Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Recipe of the Week: Chipotle Steak & Corn Salsa

I have been slacking on my recipe posting....Here is a recipe I got from Good Housekeeping (Sept 2008 issue). Somebody bought a whole buttload of beef so I'll be posting several recipes that have beef in them.

Total time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
4 corn tortillas
Olive oil nonstick cooking spray (I use the Pam version)
2 green onions
2 c. fresh corn kernels (I actually used frozen and it worked just fine)
1 c. salsa
1/2 to 1 tsp ground chipotle chile pepper (If you can't find this in the store just use chili pepper)
1 tsp ground cumin
4 beef eye round steaks, 3/4in. thick (5 oz each)

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 400F. On cookie sheet, spray tortillas with nonstick spray to lightly coat both sides. Toast tortillas on cookie sheet in oven 9 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.
2. While tortillas bake, prepare salsa: Thinly slice dark-green and light parts of green onions crosswise, reserving green tops for garnish. Spray 10-inch nonstick skillet with nonstick spray. Add light parts of green onions and corn, and cook on medium 5 minutes (longer if you use frozen corn) stirring occasionally. Stir in salsa; cook 3 to 5 minutes to heat through.
3. Meanwhile, heat ridged grill pan on medium (if you don't have a grill pan you can use a skillet, you just may need to cook it a few more minutes) In cup, combine chipotle, cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; use to season steaks. Place steaks in grill pan; cook 9 minutes for medium-rare or until desired doneness, turning once.
4. To serve, break tortillas into large pieces and place on 4 dinner plates with steaks and corn salsa; sprinkle with reserved green onions.

*I also made a sauce for the steak by adding some balsamic vinegar and some of the left over onions to the steak droppings left in the skillet. I don't have exact measurements because I kinda just threw that part together but it was good if you like sauce.

Nutritional Information:
About 385 calories, 39 g protein, 38 g carbohydrates, 9 g total fat, 6 g fiber, 62 mg cholesterol, 820 mg sodium

Tamara's Take: 8
It was pretty good, I just don't really like the trouble of preparing steak during the week. It isn't that time consuming but for some reason it feels like a hassle. I also don't really like corn salsa even though this was one of the better ones I've had. I will make this again but probably not on a regular basis.

1 comment:

Your Best Friend said...

A whole "buttload" of beef? LOL

I went through a chicken phase when everyone had whole chickens on sale. I think I still have one left in my freezer.