Monday, September 22, 2008

Who Wants To Be A Runner????

A few weeks ago I was at a party when someone asked me "Do you think that anyone can run a marathon?". My answer was "YES". That was just my initial response and since then I have thought about the question more and more. I do believe that almost anyone could run a marathon. Of course there are those who have physical conditions that would not allow them to run a marathon but aside from them I think that anyone else can run a marathon. I don't care if you are 100 lbs overweight or have never even run a mile, I believe that you COULD run a marathon.

The thing you HAVE to have in order to run a marathon is the desire and dedication. The physical ability will come, running isn't like some sports; you don't have to be born with the talent. I'm not talking about becoming an elite runner because I do think that genetics plays a big part in those type of runners. I'm talking about a casual long distance runner, anyone can do that. Depending on your current fitness level it may take you a bit longer than others to reach the level where you can run a marathon but AGAIN; if you have the desire and dedication then it is something that is attainable.

Being a long distance runner isn't easy. At times it is painful and you may feel like giving up. The blisters, lost toenails, and aching muscles are worth it. The high I feel after a great long run makes up for any pain I may feel later. The benefits are great - lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol, weight maintenance and toned legs.

So for any of those numerous people that approach me wanting to run with me or wanting advice on how to get started running. I will help you get started IF you really believe that you have the desire and dedication to be a runner. Oh, and don't be intimidated about my 10+ mile runs, we can start out on an easy run of a much shorter distance!

1 comment:

runrgrl2007 said...

Don't believe a word of that blog... This girl doesn't know how to run slow or short distances.... She is lying to you! LOL I am just kidding! Great blog Tam! I think I still have the high from Saturday! Now that was a great run.