Tuesday, July 29, 2008

One (wo)Man's Mountain....

Quote of the Day (Courtesy of John)
"The body does not want you to do this. As you run, it tells you to stop but the mind must be strong. You always go too far for your body. You must handle the pain with strategy...It is not age; it is not diet. It is the will to succeed."
- Jacqueline Gareau, 1980 Boston Marathon champ

Today was a hill workout day......a "quick and dirty" workout as Marisa put it. I had mixed feelings before the workout began. I was excited because I actually like doing speed/hill type workouts and I really want to improve on my hill performance. I was not excited because it was hot and muggy and we were doing HILLS!

After a short warm-up around the park we began.....5 times up a steep hill at was it supposed to be 5-10k pace. Well, I haven't actually ran a 5 or 10k in a while so I'm not really sure what my race pace would be but something tells me that it is not as fast as I was running up those hills. As I was racing up the hill I thought to myself - why am I running so fast? I quickly realized the reason, I have a competitive running buddy(Amy). I know she hates to get beat and secretly so do I, it also didn't help that for two of them John was running beside us and I think we were both trying not to let him beat us up the hill. This made for a pretty fast workout but also a great workout! I felt really good afterwards, well after the feeling that I was going to throw-up passed.

I am glad that tomorrow is a cross-training day. I think I'll take my Not Road Bike for a ride, hahaha.

2 comments:

runrgrl2007 said...

OK we are too much alike.. I used the quote in my blog as well.....
Go get that damn road bike! Then we can cross train together! Have a wonderful day!

Kay said...

You two OWNED that hill!!!!! Way to go