Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Only Thing to Fear

"The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself" - Franklin D. Roosevelt

It's not that I don't understand the quote, of course it is the fear of (fill in the blank) that is the problem and not the actual thing we are fearing. Perhaps this is true but even if fear is the only thing we HAVE to fear, it most certainly isn't the only thing we DO fear. There are a lot of things that we fear and everyone has their own private fears. When it comes to living a healthy lifestyle, the fear of change plays a big part.

Change scares a lot of people, probably because "the unknown" scares a lot of people and that is essentially what change is. You are doing something new, something you don't have experience with and that can be scary. It is much easier to go on living life the way you always have than to potentially experience discomfort by changing your ways.

The reason I bring this up is because I think this fear is what has prevented me from making the changes to my lifestyle that I know I need to. Well that and my lack of willpower/possibly addiction to unhealthy foods. If I make the decision to eat healthy, I'm afraid I'll miss eating all of the crap I shouldn't be eating anyway. If I stop watching TV (as much) , I'm afraid I'll miss something exciting and interesting. But you know what? I'm pretty sure that in the long run I'll be much happier if I am healthier and have the potential to live a better and longer life.

If I focus on the things that will truly make me happy then I'll be able to overcome the fear of change because I know the change is for the better.

2 comments:

runrgrl2007 said...

Like me passing up the oreo's..I am afraid they will go stale if I don't eat them! LOL! I love unhealthy food as well and then question why my cholesterol is high.....CRAZY!

Dena said...

RE the TV thing... I bet you'll surprised at how little you miss it. Looking back after this year of drastically cutting down our TV time, I'm like, "And WHY did I think it necessary to my life that I had to know what was going on with Ace of Cakes or what the brainless models were doing on America's Next Top Model?" Didn't miss it one bit.